Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Ketchup! (Here's to cheesey titles)

So I haven't updated in quite a while...so I'll just give you a run down. I just thought I had an odd or eventful (whichever floats your boat) week; for a summer break at least.

5/11: Morningstar interview, after not hearing them for a week and a half I assume they probably overlooked me and I was prepared for a barren summer. I got to go in neck and tie attire to the interview. Wasn't able to show my working sites cause of weird wireless, and was not able to show them a solid web template.

5/12: Joyee's with AARCC/AAMP people. Random moments and conversations. Had to go home and get dressed for a CPS event; recognition for perfect attendance. All students with 8 years get a digital camera and a lucky few get a laptop via lottery. The lady next to me who apparently attended all of them cause her entire family got freaking perfect attendance (she has 4 kids mind you). She kept bragging... Me being a college student felt like I was the overgrown kid in the bunch. I don't think I'll attend any more of these; future note.

5/13: I got to dress down for a day. Thought the scheduled appointment for my grandmother at the Eye Clinic was today, turned out it wasn't. The lady just said Wednesday, I thought this Wednesday, turns out it was next Wednesday; comes back and bites me in the ass much later, wait it was today.

5/14: Follow up interview at Morningstar, with some other guy. He seem impressed, but also overly optimistic of me. I couldn't help the feeling of being a false paraiyah in there.

5/15: Had to dress up and go to City Hall and meet the mayor yet again. This time in the mayor's office. Got the tour of it from the man himself. I never knew why people see him as a bad man, as far as Chicago politics go, everyone should be skeptic. Though, I was genuinely sold on his idea of bettering CPS. Chicago has changed a lot because of him, though not a lot that is worth praising, but Chicago is definitely a lot further ahead then it was a couple years ago. His office is pretty awesome.

5/16: Biked around the neighborhood to UIC, through Chinatown and in my old neighborhood. Trying to break in my legs for an LSD trip the following day. Ran into an old friend, Steven. Convinced me to bike LSD with him; I'm too easily swayed. We ended up getting to the end of the trail, hungry, cold, and tired. We found a Greek place where we grabbed a hot dog to refuel ourselves only to take the Red Line back to Chinatown. That day I biked 21 miles.

5/17: Planned LSD trip. Met up with Rachel, biked all the way to North Ave. As I explained to her, I did the whole route and I would probably kill myself if we did the whole dam thing. We didn't, thank god. Hung out at the beach, ran into my cousin Julie as we got there. On the way back I can feel my ass in pain from the terrible seat and my legs getting worn. Though, we made it back. On my way home, I ran into Annie Mei, an old acquaintance of the family. I ran into a couple Meis that day, haha. Distance biked 14 miles.

5/18: Went bike shopping with my friend, Anna. Had a long discussion of CPS on the drive as we went looking around for bikes. I'm no bike expert, and I didn't felt like pressuring her into getting anything way over her head, we settled for a reasonably price cruiser for $85. It was hell to get in and out of the car. Lent my bike to Danny to bike to x-sport, he couldn't even make it through 5 blocks on that bike; sometimes I think I might just be a bit more tolerable than most.

5/19: Bike down to campus to do some work at the B.A.T cave, a bit down to have not heard back from Morningstar, and I was planning on just coming into the EVL to do some work. Talked with James and it seem like there are quite a bit of neat projects that I can get myself involved in. James apparently is doing stuff for the Planetarium and another group in EVL is doing a disaster scenario simulator for some organization to prep high school students. Was building up excitement for that. Distance biked 4 miles.

5/20: Woke up at 7 to prep for the AAMP picnic event just so I would have my part complete, before having to take my grandma to the Eye Institute. What I thought would be an simple eye exam (1 hour and half) turned to a 3 hour ordeal cause they kept doing further exams because she apparently has pigmentosis or something like that, forgot the name. Was not able to make it to the picnic being slightly late, but being completely late. Though, it didn't end when I got there. Anyways, it was still fun despite half the crowd. All I have to say is, "So long seniors, may the real world treat you kindly."

I had some more specific thoughts to put down, but over the course of the day it drowned out.

-David M.

No comments: