Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fall 09: In A Nutshell [7/8]

One of the few habits I have kept since my time at UIC is to keep a log of my semester. I prefer to come them nutshells instead because is just a summary of experiences I had during the semester be it social or academic. Please mind the ambiguity as I write. :]

This semester has been the most drastic oppose to others I have experienced and hopefully ones I have yet to experience. Though each semester provided their own surprises and uniqueness to them, I would say this one sticks out like a sore thumb, be it good or bad I still can't draw a conclusion on that just yet and I probably won't.

Despite being the social bug I tend to be in most occasion I was never in a situation that involved drama; be it my own or others. I don't know why this semester despite it being the Fall it sure felt like it was Spring, never had I witness or be aware of raging hormones. As often I joke about it, it certainly it isn't as funny as it sounds. I hope people are able to find some sort of recourse. I didn't see any happy endings for anyone this semester. :/.

Academically, things are strange...as if nothing new was presented to me for the most part...well things were definitely different, but I definitely didn't have the drive in me as I did last year. I don't know why. Anyways, I'm going to recap each class...

Weight Lifting and Aerobics: Despite me being in Art and Design, these were probably two favorite classes this semester. Besides the fact I have to wake up super early to be in weightlifting by 8:00 am, and the exhaustive nature of aerobics these classes really were fun. Learning what I'm physically capable of and improving upon that, and seeing results from myself improving was definitely a bonus of this class.

Contemporary Art History: This was by far the worse Art History I have taken. I'm not a fan of art history, but I'm still able to siphon information from the class; it was impossible for this one. Despite Art History II being the previous title holder, this takes the cake with ease.

Analog Photography: I swore to myself I will never take another photography class in my life, this comes back and bites me in the ass; I've taken both photography classes. Though, I do enjoy the class mainly because the instructor was quite an interesting fellow. It seems photography instructors have really interesting traits, at least the ones I had and they were both visiting instructors.

Smart Art: I dislike physical computing, but this is a requirement. PD as a tool mad the class bearable however it was still a drag, despite spending a good 20 hours of nonstop work prior to the final, it was exhausting. Not my favorite thing to do, and I hope I don't have to deal with lights and ceilings in my professional career.

Independent Study (EV): I thought this was going to be my favorite class this semester as the concepts and practices cover in this class was what restored my drive in my focus. I guess it was the responsibility I decided to pick up in the class. The project definitely came out as a failure, all I have to say to myself is, architects aren't as responsive and well prepared as one would think, they are terrible at getting back to you.

All in all, I think this was a stressing semester, but I can't say that there weren't any good memories there definitely was plenty, enough to make it worth it. However, it definitely had me thinking a lot more, enough to keep me up at night. :/.

Despite how I like to self promote, I've always felt that I am a person that was capable of doing many things. I realize I'm no fixer; let alone an adequate solution to hold things together. Though, I think I'm a bit better prepared for future conflicts; hopefully. Too many things have happen and I'm still decompressing all of this.

-David M.

No comments: