Monday, September 6, 2010

The Suitcase

Watching last night's episode of Mad Men made me realize a few things. I mean things that were already on my mind, but it made me realize how strong these thoughts actually are. I openly admit how silly a topic may seem, especially when you compare life to a television show. However, there is a difference between good writing and just over fascination; Mad Men is not the later. In this episode, after a few self struggle, you really see the main character Don Draper hit the bottom of the barrel and completely detached from reality. Why? Not willing to face reality? It's hard to face reality when one falls from grace. Despite still having what makes him the man he is, he is still at a lost. What does that all mean? He is who he is, still charming, skilled and he is who he is, the face of the agency. However, he does not face his losses. Till last night's episode which is probably the best episode in the season by far.

I did a little self-reflecting as I was watching the scene where Don breaks down. I thought to myself, a man isn't a man until he has faced humility. However, that may sound we all have to face it sometime, it's only natural that we lose a battle, even more than one. Accepting that loss is all about becoming better. In the new season, you see that he isn't willing to accept his loss he's going about in a self-destructive manner which in the end made him hit rock bottom, but like they say all clouds have a silver lining. We make light of these situations and we come out of these things better people.

I too felt like I've fallen off the high horse since graduation, life itself seems like a vast ocean now and the current can easily sweep me away. Trying to not think much of it, but the thought creeps up on you and it becomes strange. I've been a little off in my habits, but I've been getting myself back on a regiment. I have to push myself, spruce myself, and in the end better myself. Life is a dark place, but there are people out there that lighten things up.

-David M.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think..you haven't fallen off. WEll actually. it's a good thing you were never on a high horse though right? that usually has a negative connotation. i honestly think you're on a good roll. You've had a few things going on here and there. And hey, when you trek across the U.S, who knows? =]

DMei4 said...

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I know good things are still ahead. I should have used fallen of the wagon instead. I always thought the high horse referred to a high place; need to learn more idioms.

Just watching that episode made me realize a few things. Things might not seem as exciting or grand as they use to, but the reality is we have to face and trying to think that the issue is non-existent does not help. Though, that's hardly my situation, but I think the idea of, face the facts, get better is still a prevalent idea.