Monday, February 23, 2009

Mr. Abdullah




As I logged on to facebook yesterday, I found out some bad news. Not heart-wrenching, but still a melancholic reality. Mr. Abdullah has passed, I heard earlier in the month he was diagnose with cancer; which kind I don't know. Former students wanted to set a fund in his honor, or at least wanted to donate to his behalf. I never quite follow the pursuits of that. What struck me the most was his age, he was probably no older or younger than my dad.

Though, Mr. Abdullah might not have been the greatest teacher, I can't say I learn much in terms of academics, particularly social sciences from him. He was still a man that spurred many questions, though as cliche as that could sound, he got me thinking. I often questioned his credentials as a teacher, he was still loved by the student body.

I still remember my freshmen year, when KCP was still an experiment (I guess it still is). I had him first period, and one of the first few to refer to me as Mr. Mei; don't know why I commended much respect. In other words, news of this has struck me quite oddly. I was hoping for him to teach till he was old and senile (a word I learned from him.)

This month has involved a lot of giving and taking. I find it how things crash with each other so often, coincidentally. I guess that's how life works, one day your up, next day your down. (I wonder what song was that from?)

-David M.

No comments: