Thursday, March 5, 2009

On the Way Home

I left ADH today roughly around 7:30. As I was crossing the Harrison blue line stop, I see the 8 going off. Usually, it annoys me that I missed the bus, but with weather like this is hard to be annoyed. As I finally, reached the stop I see the bus breaching the horizon; see life's not so bad. Before you think the post goes downwards from here, it doesn't.

I got on the bus, and first thing I noticed is probably the most well dressed bloke I've seen in a while. It was so unreal I even have to look where I was putting in my uPass (is second nature to me). The man was probably in his late 50s, dressed in a nice stripped suit and a fedora to boot (it had feathers on the side), a wide red tie with a golden tie clip on a chain. The way his posture was, it seem like he was a mannequin, he was real; I decided to sit next to the man to observe him more closely. It was eerie, his eyes did not glance away from the window at all. Think the reason, I was interested was the fact that it seem so out of place, to say the least. He would seldomly do the gesture that one would do after a prayer (I don't know what that gesture is called) as he looks at his reflection. I think that made the bus ride more interesting.

As the bus was strolling along I realize Gourmet Clothing is no longer in business, at least from the assumption that THERE was nothing in there. I guess the economy is getting worse.

The bus moves towards University Village, the bus comes to a halt as someone is getting off. I see a couple sitting at the bus stop bench. They get up and hug, I assume one of them is going to get on the bus. Then the hug, becomes a kiss; things seemed emotional. The bus continues moving, they're oblivious; maybe their intention wasn't to get on the bus in the first place. Why would you sit at the bus stop if you weren't getting on the bus? That was the only line of thought I had.

I arrived at Halsted Orange line station, luckily the 44 was there. I got on the bus, the bus driver was being extremely friendly to the lady getting on before me. I didn't hear what they were saying as I had my earphones on. The bus got moving shortly after, probably because it was running late, 3 passengers on the bus. Heading east on Archer the streets seemed quiet and distance; a dystopia as a friend would describe my neighbor hood. The viaducts beneath the trains seems like a gate to a much grittier place. We swing onto 26th. I see the other 44 bus turning; suspicions corrected. The drivers greeted each other with a wave, our driver was more than enthusiastic. I reached my destination, the driver said, "Have a good night." I replied with,"Have a good one,"

The voice of the post changed completely. I wonder why? Anyways, I haven't been this observant on the way home for a while. It was kind of fun, for lack of a better word.

***Wished I took the bike out for a "walk" today, but would have probably been hit due to the time of day.

-David M.

2 comments:

Nik said...

Aww, you had a crush on a 'bloke' on the bus. (Don't deny it or I will hurt you.) :D

DMei4 said...

He was well dressed, I was envious. What more can I say?