Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Miscommunication, Superstitution, Stupidity...The Whole Nine Yards

When I think things are clearing and school life comes butting is way back in. Family life comes back again once again. As I mentioned earlier before my grandfather has a tumor in his esophagus. Though, it causes it an issue, the doctor giving the diagnosis did not indicate the size of the tumor; is 6cm roughly 2.36 inches in which I did not find out till tonight. Now that would call for immediate attention.

As of now he has evasive cancer, and I simply do not know what that means. I thought as least my whole maternal side of the family knows. Apparently there has been a huge miscommunication on my grandfather's condition, and I blame their sense of communication or their attentiveness to the previous hospital stay. Though, the tumor issue I did not found out till 3 weeks ago. My family themselves did not want to do anything till after Chinese New Years, I think is all cause of bad mojo or whatever; Chinese traditionalist can be very superstitious. Regardless as such, my grandfather has been having a harder time ingesting. Which, leads to tonight's entry.

Though, I was aware of what was going on, I was not aware of the entirety of the situation. Regardless, of such I'd much rather have my head stuck in school than family at this point and time. However, I did contact the radiology doctor and they wanted to meet my doctor, as I consulted with my mother's side they thought it was best to do treatment after New Years. As it was going through my head, the doctor giving the diagnosis did not had a sense of urgency in his voice, which really did not cause me to be alarmed at first. Secondly, they wanted to consult with their primary physician whom I think is a complete quack. Which sums up to a wild goose chase, given that most of the paper work responsibility was left with my brother; which I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for this.

The last two days my grandfather wanted to be admitted, though he doesn't know how the hospital system works even after multiple explanation. They did not heed my suggestion of making appointments and they ended up waiting about 3 hours in the ER. They're still there now, I came home cause I got class at 9. Though, what troubled me was the knowledge the family had about my grandfather's condition. Apparently, bits and piece were misinterpreted and confusion grew. My cousin who was interpreting had no idea my grandfather had a tumor. In the end, I had to come in and the doctor was talking to me like an idiot for not scheduling appointments, what can I say? They wanted to do this after New Years, though I didn't know it was 6cm till he told me. If I knew I would had acted right upon hearing about it.

In summary, I dislike the medical system we have cause there was so much confusion going on between the week of Christmas and even now, in terms of his condition. My maternal side of the family lack any initiative and motivation. I'm probably half-heartedly as cold cause at this point I really don't care about this circus frenzy, I can't even think about what I'm doing at this point, let alone what I can do for people now.

-David M.

No comments: