Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Week is Over, Lets Recap

So I trudged through the first week of school, and what an exhausting (and cold) first week it was. Though, I want to have a retrospective on my classes, and what I think of them as of now.

AD307 Electronic Visualization II - The class is a continuation of last semester's course with the same professor. One of my favorite professor given that he's always positive, and fair. The class has always been interesting to me since last semester mainly due to the philosophy of the course. That being using visual elements, or, I can describe it as visual primitives and use them to interpret complex, or even the most useless complex data in a visual form; which allows the audience to interpret the same information, connect the dots without say, having to look through an entire statistic sheet per say. Definitely, looking forward to what were going to do next, heck we're already learning how to make a clock that doesn't use numbers, text, or hands to represent time.

COMM 140 Fundamentals of Media Communication - I always thought all Communication courses are speech courses that are used to improve one's own interpersonal skills; a skill I still need to work on. Though, this is a class about writing in Mass Media, meaning writing objectively, and clearly. Is almost like an English class. The reason I didn't drop this class was, DMEI is not a quitter. Secondly, I think is about time I brush up on my grammar skills again. Too many times have I've been corrected! Plus, it might prove to be a useful skill set later on.

AD309 Advanced 3D Modeling and Animation - This is a continuation of my 3D modeling class from last semester, and thank god it wasn't on the time slot 4-6:40 like last semester because I would not spend any cold winter nights waiting for a bus. As knowledgeable the professor is, she bores or the fact that last semester I had classes 11-4 straight before her class I'll be completely drained of all my learning fluids. Though, we spent the first class day other than reviewing learning about soft/rigid bodies and that was probably the funnest session I had in that class to date. I hope it'll stay that interesting. On Tuesday, we have a mouse trap due.

AD230 Painting I - One measure I always give myself is always to break away from a comfortable medium, even if I have do not have any remote skills in it at all. This class definitely seem like a challenge to me, and I'll take it head on. Though, I don't think I'm going to emerge one of the better trained fine artist, I hope to walk away with some understanding. Though, I spoke too soon, but I think I'll probably going to spend my 4-6:40 time slot in the studio. Dammit! Oh, I think the professor definitely gets lost in her conversation for quite often. We spent the first day on introductions and the syllabus, which at most usually takes an hour. Instead we spent the whole freaking day.

AH236 History of Design II - We spent the first day talking about RAMEN! On why it is the superior noodle, and the flaws of the Ramen, haha. It seems the class always start on the subject of food. The class is a continuation of last year, but through the years of 1925-present. Is the same format, but the present is so much more interesting, and I hope because it happens along the lines of 19th century to the present I have an easier time memorizing things. The overview she gave seems pretty interesting enough, though I looked at the syllabus, and we're only going to spend 3 classes on that.

All in all, I think this semester I can definitely say, "What have I gotten myself into?" Given that Painting and Grammar (it makes me sad to think that my grammar is not as good as it should) are one of the fundamental tools for me to make it past this semester. Hopefully, those things make me and not break me.

-David M.

No comments: