Thursday, December 18, 2008

Even Demons Have a Heart

One of the great things of being on break, is actually spending quality time with my PS3. As much as I try to deny it (which I don't), even though I think I'm a jaded gamer at this point in time, I always find a small gem that catch my eye and it brings me right back in.

In case you're wondering what I've been playing, it's Disgaea 3. Though, I picked up the first game way back in my high school days solely on just an ad in a gaming magazine due to the illustration work. That was one of the best impulse buy ever. Turned out to be one of those rare gems that people talk about on the underground, and is so hard to find.

The basic premise of all 3 (expect for the second) games is that you play some teenage demon (usually some angsty teenage demon, by teenage they're usually xx,xxx years old), that is so bent on his evil ways and through out the journey our antagonist learns human quality such as, love, friendship, and most of all kindness. Though, the topics might seem childish the plot is pretty satirical as it takes a lot from anime and game culture, and it references a lot of things, which is one thing I love is references or simply by the fact I like simple, childish, and innocent stories of how the immature matures.

Anyways, a more detail plot of 3 is that it takes place inside an Academy in the Netherworld and you play as the Overlord's son, Mao. An honor roll student who is trying to find a way to defeat his father and become the strongest demon in the Netherworld, and the only way in doing, so, is by becoming a Hero. Though, the main traits of a hero comes from the heart. He contrive all these weird notations of how these traits are acquired, such as stealing the title of a Hero from a human in order to obtain the powers of a hero. Which is pretty hysterical as he steals the title from a fake hero.

The most interesting part of the story is this place called a heart vault, in which one can travel inside one's heart. One of the "rules" created in the world is, no one is allowed to enter the heart unless one allows permission for one to enter one's heart. As much of an evil student Mao believes he is, he can't figure out why so many people can enter his heart, more or less with ease. As the fake hero points out, Mao has a pretty open heart which he fails to realize. Which, lead to the vault, the vault is the deepest part of the heart where all the important things are stored, and one must open one's heart in order to easily access the contents of the heart. However, Mao fails to open his own heart mainly due to his stubbornness to open his heart. As we later realize that his childhood of being scarred and traumatized through some silly, and some more serious events in his life that the heart becomes closed.

Why, am I talking about a game on a blog that I normally scribble my thoughts onto? While, I was playing the game I had moments of realizations and was able to sympathize with the character. I too felt like Mao, where I do have an open heart, but I do find my heart unwilling to change, was I being stubborn cause I fail to realize something in front of me, and completely push it aside. Am I demon, that fails to realize that I have good heart to simplify it. Though, I'm not oblivious to my heart I find that I do keep a lot of things locked up, and I don't share stuff about myself to often, as it seems like a sense of weakness to me. Though, I'm quick to help others with their problems I do fail to realize and address some of my problems in my life; pure neglect to my own heart I guess. I wish I can dwell inside my heart and see what I can find inside it. *sigh*

-David M.

No comments: