Saturday, December 27, 2008

Merry Christmas?...True Colors

While yesterday (is not tomorrow till I wake up on the date of) was Christmas and was quite the interesting Christmas it was. Though, I think I've beaten the statement over people's head enough, but we aren't a very festive family, and we normally do anything colorful or whimsical. Though, I think yesterday was definitely the strangest Christmas to date.

As my grandfather spend his Christmas in the hospital with my grandma accompanying him. A couple short visits, but I find it interesting that my mother and her sisters were the most inclined about visiting. Two of my aunts did visit him shortly, but the others did not go. Though, it was the holidays they did had the time to visit oppose to the week, while they were working. However, they were at my grandma's playing mahjong and killing time until it was time to eat. I however, decided to stay home, and just relax, though I drove my father and my uncles to the hospital and did not get back till 3. Hardly anytime to soak in the day, I decided to not attend dinner with my mother's side and just eat dinner at home. My dad however, was home too and he spend the holidays playing scratch-its from the near by gas station. He spent at least $154 on losing tickets, apparently he won $200 at work, and he won back at least $150. It was a bit horrific to see how fast you can burn through the cash and how addicting it could be. I don't know why this Christmas has the strangest events thus far, but it was just a strange day altogether.

Christmas dinner was just left overs my dad brought home from work; left over lobsters is not one thing I think one can complain about.

Anyways, I think my father pointed out to his father-in-law, that it was kind of sad that none of his daughter has paid a visit or at least sit in with him for more than a hour; maybe because they have mahjong on their mind. Though, one of my aunt's supposedly proposed to sit-in while my grandma left, but it was a very disheartening thought as an old man laid on the hospital bed, and just looking out the window, while his wife sat on the couch. I can only imagine how he would feel. Though, I think my mother's family has a strange addiction with the game of mahjong that it has became mechanical and whenever they meet the table folds out. Is strange that my dad is slowly finding an addiction with scratch and wins. I mean we all have our vices, but I find it to be quite out of control.

Anyways, my gramps is out today, after sitting in the room for another 7 hours. I've started reading, House of Leaves I can definitely see why my English teacher thought my writing style is quite familiar to the story. I find the story to be a strange piece of writing as well as I can feel my sanity slip as I read it, is almost creepy.

-David M.

4 comments:

Nik said...

I'm happy to know "Gramps" is doing better!

House of Leaves was and still is one of the most confusing books I have ever tried to read.

I think if I were to pick it up right now, that would make it my 5th attempt at finishing it entirely.

If you finish it in one try, I'll most certainly salute you.

DMei4 said...

I'm only on like chapter 5. It was written so well, it feels so well documented that I thought it was real.

Nik said...

I know, right?!

I will admit, I had trouble sleeping the first time I read it.

DMei4 said...

Definitely a good read, but I do not want to become too engaged.