Thursday, December 11, 2008

The Semester in a Nutshell

As always, I end the semester with a note.

This was probably the most enlightening, if not worthwhile semester I had (though I think I've said that about every semester). I honestly felt there was a lot gained throughout the process of this semester. As geekish it may sound, school does have a purpose, and with the passing of a semester I feel a grew a bit more, and a semester is just another way to gauge my growth throughout my academic career, though I think socially I' more comfortable with myself.

Though, I did had my gripes that EV doesn't really have a strong focus compared the other disciplines, this semester I discover how strong of a foundation EV can be and a segway into other disciplines. Especially, in EV I being able to try to graphically interpret data, yes, I know any graph can suffice, but to be able to try and think of it through it in a graphic design standpoint it makes the class a whole lot interesting. Also, in 3D modeling I realize I really need to step up my game (I saw some really neat stuff today, though I'm not too far off). I feel like EV is not as critical or cut throat as the other disciplines or at least from stories I heard, I kind of feel cheated out of "constructive" criticism. Though, I guess is hard to judge working with new media since there isn't a foundation to it. Though, next semester I hope to definitely step beyond what I already know and improve my craft.

As hard as a semester can be it is always the people I know that makes my day, and that's what makes the day a little bit more bearable. Meeting new people, and also learning more about current friends really makes the semester all the more interesting. I'm really grateful for the people I met this year it was such a lively group. I'm glad AAMP had more active students this year, and it just made being a mentor, so, much fun and enjoyable; even though I learned many things that was better off not learned form them.

However, the greatest tool I have sharpen this semester was time management. I always like to toss responsibilities upon myself, just so my step is a bit uneven. In that process I learn to balance, and a good tool in life is balance. Once, one has obtain balance they can accomplish any task no matter how small or big the task at hand is.

Though, some things can never be accomplished in a semester, nor fully crafted in years. I've come to realize many things about my life that is beyond my controls and also things in my life I need to take control of. That thing in life is people in my life, as social as I can be in some people's eye; I can quickly become estranged and could easily step out of the frame of the picture with a second thought. Though, there are still things I feel like I need to patch up with people, at the same time I feel my confidence wanes as I attempt these things and I cower. However, I realize the reason why I become estrange from some people is because my unwillingness to keep these bridges tighten; though it should always be a group effort, sometimes it just needs one person to tie it altogether. I realize that it might be my responsibility to initiate conversation, my responsibility to just be a friend. Sometimes, I stray and is not a good thing, but I don't know why I do it. Due, to certain events just this semester I realize there is a certain need for communication and keeping in touch, though sometimes I feel time as lapse so much, that is there really a need to stitch together threads that are waning.

Though, I don't know how cohesive that is or people think I'm a social downer at the moment. So, I'll end this note on a lighter note. I hope y'all have a safe and fantastic holiday because I want to see everyone next semester.

Peace!
-D. Mei

No comments: